Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Green Business

I'm all for green businesses. Everybody needs to do their part. I applaud the efforts by small businesses and large coporations who are taking global warming seriously, and are willing to adopt sustainable practices. My worry is that people will neglect the deeper changes we have to make in our values, lifetsyles, and mindset. We also have to change our patterns of consumption. We have to free our minds from the patterns that instill depedence upon technology rather than optimal use of it to further human potential. I worry when the fashion industry hires meteorologists to time the release of fashion lines to the new climate trends that will result from warming. From a business perspective, I get it. As a citizen of the earth, I wonder. What about making clothing that lasts longer --- let alone invoking the princple of hand-me-downs!

On Peoples' Mind: "Buying more stuff, even if its environmental, won't fix the economy or solve global warming. But changing how we buy might make a difference." - a 27 year old graduate student.

In The News: Even restaurants are heeding the green call. The question is: Can we just replace our practices with green technologies, or do we have to change how we live?

No comments: